Call for Applications
Of critical importance to the IAIFI vision is our IAIFI Fellows program, which aims to recruit and train the most talented, promising, and diverse group of researchers at an early stage of their careers. These Fellows will spark vital interdisciplinary, multi-investigator, multi-subfield collaborations. Such collaborations have immense power to generate new ideas and approaches, to facilitate abstracting physics challenges beyond their native domains, and to instill a common language across disciplines. Our program aims to appoint three new postdoctoral IAIFI Fellows each academic year, for a three-year fellowship term each.
Fellows will be selected through an annual application process. Applicants should have, or be expected to receive by the 1st of September 2021, a PhD in Physics, Statistics, Computer Science, or a related field. Complete applications must include:
- Cover letter (no more than 1 page);
- CV (1-2 pages recommended, but longer accepted);
- Statement of research interests (no more than 2 pages);
- List of publications;
- Three reference letters.
The deadline to receive all the materials (including all reference letters) is the 20th of October 2020.
The Fellows will have substantial freedom in choosing their research focus; each fellow will be assigned two mentors – one from Physics and one from AI – to guide their choice of research topic and evaluate their research progress. The IAIFI is committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities. Any inquiries about the program should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The IAIFI is a joint NSF-funded venture between MIT, Harvard, Northeastern, and Tufts. Fellows are encouraged to collaborate with other IAIFI members and can have affiliations with any or all of the participating universities.
- What is the anticipated start date for the 2021-2024 IAIFI Fellowship? The expected start date is September 1, 2021, but we will consider alternative start dates on a case by case basis.
- Will you sponsor visas for international applicants? If selected for an IAIFI Fellowship, we will work with the MIT International Scholars Office (ISchO) to determine the appropriate visa for your situation.
- Am I still eligible for an IAIFI Fellowship if my research is only in Physics or only in AI? The aim of the IAIFI is to foster interdisciplinary research at the intersection of Physics and AI. Even if your expertise is only in one area, your proposed research should aim to build bridges across disciplines.