Artist in Residence
Kaća Bradonjić, Assistant Professor of Physics at Hampshire College and a visual artist, spent four months at IAIFI as an artist in residence and explored the question of how physicists cope with abstraction. In her words, “Physicists study the physical world on spatial, temporal and complexity scales inaccessible through ordinary human perception. How is it possible for a person, whose knowledge of the world is rooted in the direct sensory experience, to build an understanding of physical and mathematical concepts used to describe the world on these scales?” At IAIFI her special focus was understanding how physicists conceptualize the work delegated to a neural network, how their internal representations of the physical systems they study are influenced by the use of artificial intelligence, and the impact that use of AI may have on the process of scientific inquiry.
On October 21, 2022, she gave a talk at the IAIFI Internal Seminar, at which she introduced her project to the IAIFI community and invited them to participate. The talk and the lively discussion that followed set the ground for what turned out to be a fruitful collaboration with a number of researchers. To produce the artwork, Kaća interviewed fourteen physicists, twelve of whom were the members of the IAIFI community. Nine interviews served as the basis for artwork, of which four engage directly with the use of AI. Namely, she explored how these researchers conceptualize or experience the portion of the work delegated to the neural networks. She met for at least one follow-up meeting with each of them to get feedback on the early sketches of the drawing.
The work Kaća has done at IAIFI will be documented in an exhibit of the artwork and an essay on the possibilities of artist–physicist collaborations of this kind.
IAIFI-AIMLAC Workshop 2022
IAIFI welcomed 15 students and faculty from the UKRI Centre for Doctoral Training in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning & Advanced Computing (AIMLAC) for an informal workshop March 2 through March 4, 2022. The two groups shared research and education strategies, and had opportunities for networking.
The program is shared below. The slides are available to IAIFI members by logging in to the IAIFI internal website.
Other Physics and AI Collaborations
- NSF AI Planning Institute for Data-Driven Discovery in Physics
- Community Laboratory for AI Research at the Intersection with Physics (CLARIPHY)
- Dark Machines
- View our calendar of related events
Other NSF AI Institutes
- NSF AI Institute for Research on Trustworthy AI in Weather, Climate, and Coastal Oceanography (AI2ES), University of Oklahoma with University at Albany, Colorado State University, North Carolina State University, Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi, University of Washington, Del Mar College, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Google Research, The Weather Company
- USDA-NIFA AI Institute for Next Generation Food Systems (AIFS), University of California - Davis with University of California - Berkeley, Cornell University, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USDA, University of California - Agriculture and Natural Resources
- NSF AI Institute for Foundations of Machine Learning (IFML), University of Texas at Austin with University of Washington, Wichita State University, Microsoft Research
- NSF AI Institute for Student-AI Teaming (iSAT), University of Colorado - Boulder with Colorado State University, University of California - Santa Cruz, University of California - Berkeley, Brandeis University, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Georgia Tech, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Wisconsin - Madison
- USDA-NIFA AI Institute for Future Agricultural Resilience, Management, and Sustainability (AIFARMS), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with The University of Chicago, Michigan State University, Tuskegee University, Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois Center for Digital Agriculture, Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, USDA-ARS
- Molecule Maker Lab Institute: NSF AI Institute for Molecular Discovery, Synthetic Strategy, and Manufacturing (MMLI), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with Penn State, Rochester Institute of Technology
- NSF AI Institute for Intelligent Cyberinfrastructure with Computational Learning in the Environment (ICICLE), The Ohio State University with Case Western Reserve University, IC Foods, Iowa State University, Ohio Supercomputer Center, RPI, San Diego Supercomputer Center, Texas Advanced Computing Center, University of California - Davis, University of California - San Diego, University of Delaware, Indiana University, University of Utah, University of Wisconsin
- NSF AI Institute for Collaborative Assistance and Responsive Interaction for Networked Groups (AI-CARING), Georgia Tech with Carnegie Mellon University, Oregon State University, UMass Lowell, and Oregon Health & Science University
- NSF AI Institute for Advances in Optimization (ai4opt), Georgia Tech with UC Berkeley, Clark Atlanta University, Spelman College, USC, University of Texas - Arlington
- NSF AI Institute for Learning-enabled Optimization at Scale (TILOS), University of California - San Diego with MIT, National University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Texas - Austin, Yale University
- NSF AI Institute for Future Edge Networks and Distributed Intelligence (AI-EDGE), The Ohio State University with Northeastern University, UMass Amherst, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Texas - Austin, Purdue University, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, UIC, University of Washington, University of Wisconsin - Madison, University of Michigan
- NSF AI Institute for Edge Computing Leveraging Next-Generation Networks (Athena), Duke University with MIT, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, Princeton University, University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin - Madison, Yale University
- NSF AI Institute for Dynamic Systems, University of Washington with Columbia University, Harvard University, University of Hawai’i, Montana State University, University of Nevada - Reno, University of Alaska - Anchorage, Boise State University, Portland State University
- NSF AI Institute for Engaged Learning (Engage AI), North Carolina State University with The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Vanderbilt University, Indiana University, Digital Promise
- The USDA-NIFA Institute for Agricultural AI for Transforming Workforce and Decision Support (AgAID), Washington State University with Oregon State University, University of California - Merced, University of Virginia, Carnegie Mellon University, Heritage University, Wenatchee Valley College, Kansas State University, Innov8.ag, IBM Research
- The AI Institute for Resilient Agriculture (AIIRA), Iowa State University with Carnegie Mellon University, The University of Arizona, University of Missouri - Mizzou, George Mason University, University of Nebraska - Lincoln, NYU, Iowa Soybean Association
- National AI Institute for Exceptional Education, University of Buffalo with Cornell University, Penn State, Stanford University, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, University of Nevada, Reno, University of Oregon, University of Texas at El Paso, University of Washington
Related Mailing Lists
The below mailing lists are mailing lists we have encountered for advertising IAIFI jobs and events.