Summer School 2024
The mission of the IAIFI PhD Summer School is to leverage the expertise of IAIFI researchers, affiliates, and partners toward promoting education and workforce development.
- August 5–9, 2024
- Boston, MA (exact location TBA)
- Applications for the 2024 Summer School are due March 1, 2024
The Institute for Artificial Intelligence and Fundamental Interactions (IAIFI) is enabling physics discoveries and advancing foundational AI through the development of novel AI approaches that incorporate first principles, best practices, and domain knowledge from fundamental physics. The Summer School will include lectures and events that AI + Physics, illustrate interdisciplinary research at the intersection AI and Physics, and encourage diverse global networking. Hands-on code-based tutorials that build on foundational lecture materials help students put theory into practice.
Applications are due March 1, 2024. You you will be notified of your registration status by March 8, 2024.
Students for the Summer School will have the option to reserve dorm rooms (at their own expense) at Boston University. Instructions for this will be provided to students upon acceptance.
Boston University Housing, 10 Buick St, Boston, MA 02215
- There is no registration fee for the Summer School. Students for the Summer School are expected to cover the cost of travel and boarding.
- Lunch each day, as well as coffee and snacks at breaks, will be provided during the Summer School, along with at least one dinner during the Summer School.
- Students who wish to stay for the IAIFI Summer Workshop will be able to book the same rooms through the weekend and the Workshop if they choose (at their own expense).
The following lecturers are confirmed for the 2024 IAIFI Summer School. Additional lecturers will be announced soon.
Topic: Representation/Manifold Learning
Lecturer: Melanie Weber, Assistant Professor of Applied Mathematics and of Computer Science, Harvard
Topic: Uncertainty Quantification/Simulation-Based Inference
Lecturer: Carol Cuesta-Lazaro, IAIFI Fellow
Topic: Physics-Motivated Optimization
Lecturer: Cengiz Pehlevan, Assistant Professor of Applied Mathematics & Kempner Institute Associate Faculty, Harvard
Topic: Generative Models
Topic: Reinforcement Learning
Tutorial Leads will be announced early in 2024.
The agenda will be shared by March 2024.
To be announced. If you are interested in sponsoring the Summer School, please contact email@example.com.
2024 Organizing Committee
- Fabian Ruehle, Chair (Northeastern University)
- Demba Ba (Harvard)
- Alex Gagliano (IAIFI Fellow)
- Polina Abratenko (Tufts)
- Owen Dugan (MIT)
- Sneh Pandya (Northeastern)
- Yidi Qi (Northeastern)
- Manos Theodosis (Harvard)
- Sokratis Trifinopoulos (MIT)
- Who can apply to the Summer School? Any PhD students or early career researchers working at the intersection of physics and AI may apply to the summer school.
- What is the cost to attend the Summer School? There is no registration fee for the Summer School. Students for the Summer School are expected to cover the cost of travel and boarding.
- Is there funding available to support my attendance at the Summer School? IAIFI is covering the cost of the Summer School, including lunch each day. There is no support available for travel costs.
- If I come to the Summer School, can I also attend the Workshop? Yes! We encourage you to stay for the IAIFI Summer Workshop and you can stay in the dorms for both events if you choose (at your own expense). Information about the Summer Workshop will be provided in early 2024.
- Will the recordings of the lectures be available? We expect to share recordings of the lectures after the Summer School.
- Will there be an option for virtual attendance? Yes, there is an option for virtual attendance.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.